|The graceful building which harmonize with the natural scenery|
|Establishment: The begining of the 13th century (1206)|
| Kozan-ji was established at the begining of the 13th century, when the
monk Myoe restored a temple originally built in 774 and renamed it Kozan-ji. At
the time of its restoration, the temple comprised a number of buildings,
including the Kondo, the Amidado, the Jusannoto (thirteen-storied pagoda)
and the Tozai-kyozo (Tozai sutra repository). Kozan-ji fell into decline
during the military upheavals of the middle ages, but was restored in 1634,
with the advent of the Edo Period.
The Sekisui-in is the only surviving structure that dates from Myoe's time. Architectural techniques such as sugaru-hahu gables (leaning form) and various details of design represent the architecture of the Kamakura Period. Because it harmonizes with its natural surroudings, the Sekisui-in instills in the visitors relief, and which is a good example of an interesting aspect of Japanese culture.
Other buildings in the inner part of the temple include the Hokyoin-to and Nyohokyo-to stone pagodas.
|Photo by Kanzaki Junichi|
Map of "Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto"
|Copyright-Preservation of Curtural Properties Section, City of Kyoto|